In May 1946, following the post-World War II reorganisations, Lostock Hall shed had
now become a sub-depot to 24A Accrington Depot and, accordingly, received the new
code of 24C.
As a consequence of the disastrous effects of the hostilities, Britain’s railways
had, in any case, already effectively become
bankrupt and the Transport Act of 1947
was passed to nationalise nearly all forms of mass transport in Great Britain, this
effect from January 1st 1948. The title ‘British Railways’ came into existence
as the business name of the Railway Executive of the British Transport Commission
on the same date and from which time it took over the assets of the erstwhile ‘Big
Initially, there was little real change and the newly-formed London Midland Region
inherited, in the main, ex-LMS types of steam locomotive already at depots in its
domain. For a few months in early 1948, an ‘M’ prefix was added to existing LMS loco
numbers, but from mid-1948, 40000 was added, allocating numbers of the ex-LMS types
into the 4xxxx and 5xxxx series. (Some elderly loco classes, however, were re-numbered
into the 58xxx series to make way for new production of LMS designs, but none of
those were at 24C.) In respect of London Midland depot codes, throughout Lancashire
there was also little change at first, with Lostock Hall retaining its ‘24C’ until
1963, when changes to local administrative areas finally did dictate a revision.
A couple of interesting aerial views taken from the top of the coaling plant.
[RIGHT] A shed full of 2-6-4Ts accompanied by a few Black Fives, along with the odd
WD 2-8-0 and Jinty, but before the diesel-fuelling facility was installed, almost
certainly dates these pictures to the summer of 1962.
[FAR RIGHT] A WD comes on shed, using the entrance from the ‘back line’ from Farington
Jct. The former closely-knit railway community of Lostock Hall village is particularly
well illustrated in the background of this view.
In 1947, a lengthy coal-strike caused the LMSR to convert a number of 0-8-0 locomotives
to oil-burning. The main facilities for these were erected at Wakefield and Rose
Grove depots, but two fuel-oil tanks were also installed at Lostock Hall to accommodate
any such locos that had worked right through from Yorkshire. With the cessation of
the strike and resumption of regular supplies of coal, that project was abandoned
and certainly the Lostock Hall facilities are thought never to have been used. There
was some talk that these two tanks had actually been provided in connection with
a rather curious combined coal and oil-burning experiment, but this has never been
substantiated. Whatever their function, the concrete bases to these structures survived
the demolition of the depot.
As had been gradually occurring at several other ex-L&Y depots, the long overdue
and lengthy re-roofing of the original L&Y structure, delayed by the War, was finally
completed by 1954. Curiously, with the old ‘north-light’ pattern roof remaining
in-situ over the offices, stores and workshops facilities, the remainder of the covered
area of the building came to be cut back somewhat in length, now exposing some of
the inspection pits, the remainder of which came to be covered by a more modern steel-framed
design - one that remained until final closure and demolition.
Following the cessation of hostilities, and as from about 1950, the numerous ex-LMS
‘Austin Seven’ 0-8-0s now on the allocation soon themselves came to be gradually
replaced from a large stock of otherwise redundant ex-War Department ‘Austerity’
2-8-0s that had been obtained second-hand from the Ministry of Supply by the newly-nationalised
British Railways. The Austerity 2-8-0 was based on the LMS Class 8F, which until
that point had been the government's standard design. Various modifications were
made to the 8F design by R.A. Riddles including a boiler of simpler construction
which was parallel rather than tapered and a round-topped firebox rather than a Belpaire
firebox. The firebox was made of steel rather than the rarer and more expensive copper.
In all, some 935 of the type were constructed and 733 eventually ended up on the
books of British Railways.
Examples of the Stanier and Fairburn 2-6-4 tanks that were a mainstay for over a
quarter of a century. [ABOVE LEFT] No 42661, built in 1941, is seen on No 1 Road
on 14th May 1949, shortly before transfer to Accrington shed, where it remained until
this was converted into a DMU maintenance depot in 1960, causing 42661 to be returned
[ABOVE RIGHT] No (4)2298 is seen on No 8 Road at around the same time and had just
arrived from 25F Low Moor, now destined to remain at Lostock Hall for the remainder
of its life. Behind 2298, can be seen Stanier 8F 2-8-0 No 48639, displaying the
early BR type of smokebox number-plate that used the LMS style of numerals. Hailing,
as it did, from 16A Nottingham MPD, this was an extremely rare visitor!
At the same time, however, some Ivatt and BR 2MT 2-6-0s and seven ‘Jinty’ 3F 0-6-0Ts,
along with a number of 350hp diesel shunters, did come to be transferred from 24K
to 24C. In addition, brand-new 350hp diesel shunters came to the shed ‘on loan’,
for running-in purposes. In fact, nearly all of the output from Horwich Works at
this period in time was being sent alternately to Lostock Hall or to Bolton depots
and during which time was used on normal shed duties.
[RIGHT] Once the ‘Jinty’ 3F 0-6-0Ts became established at Lostock Hall, following
the transfer of an initial 7 from Preston shed, others started to arrive from elsewhere.
No 47386 previously had been a long-stay resident of Rose Grove MPD, but only lasted
at 24C about a further year before withdrawal in 1962.
[FAR RIGHT] Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 No 46449 was also the first of its own type to arrive,
having moved here from Carlisle Upperby in 1962. It stayed for only about a year
before moving on to Oldham (Lees) – but only to be replaced by a further 2 that came
The allocation lists at the foot of this section encompass a period of 14 years in
total and do provide some idea of the transition from the remaining pre-Grouping
machines over to the obviously more modern LMS motive power, this then progressing
to the pitifully few BR Standards that ever did arrive.
During the period under review, of significance here is the total absence of any
Stanier 5MT or 8F engines – that is, aside from a small number of mostly war-surplus
ex-LNER and GWR-built 8Fs that came both here and to Rose Grove immediately after
nationalisation, before being fairly quickly moved elsewhere. As at other depots
in the locality, Lostock Hall then had to wait for the more powerful Stanier engines
to be cascaded down to them, as steam declined in other parts of the country … and
that wasn’t to occur until after 1963 and by which time all sheds in North and East
Lancashire had come under a new parent depot of 10A Carnforth.
Meanwhile, with Preston shed now closed completely – even for servicing, some larger
and more exotic visitors started to arrive unexpectedly, but on quite a regular basis.
These often caused much interest locally, both to enthusiasts and shed staff, for
this was a depot that, by virtue of its relatively lowly status, had never previously
been so much in the limelight.
Until the early 1960s, holiday extra trains to the Lancashire Coast resorts from
South Wales, Bristol, various points east of the Pennines and even Scotland used
to work its train right through to the final destination. Upon arrival in the Fylde,
if no space was available elsewhere, the empty stock occasionally had to be worked
back into the Preston area, perhaps to Lostock Hall Carriage Sidings, for stabling
until its return departure time was due. The locomotives concerned then came onto
shed for servicing and resulted in numerous extremely rare shed-codes being seen.
With the closure of Preston shed, Lostock Hall came to host many unusual visitors
from other parts. [RIGHT] In 1963, Carlisle Upperby’s No 46106 “Gordon Highlander”,
the unique BR Standard smoke-deflector fitted ‘Royal Scot’, is seen here having its
fire cleaned before proceeding onto shed.
[FAR RIGHT] Over on No 6 Road, at around the same date, was to be found Edge Hill’s
green-liveried ‘Princess Coronation’ Pacific No 46241 “City of Edinburgh”.
[ABOVE LEFT] The only currently known photograph illustrating one of the two fuel
tanks (extreme right) erected at Lostock Hall during the 1947 oil-burning conversion
of some locos due to the coal strike. The Class 3F No 12317 using the turntable on
1st July 1948 was a mainstay of the Lostock Hall allocation for many years, until
its move to Newton Heath in 1952.
[ABOVE RIGHT] With 24C shed-plates very much in evidence, this 1949 view also clearly
depicts the decrepit and soon-to-be-replaced original L&YR 'northlight' roof! A
strong L&Y influence still remains evident in the original water columns and in the
Aspinall 3F 0-6-0s (former L&Y Class 27) Nos 52244 and 12523. Also in frame are
a couple of relatively more 'modern' additions to stock in the form of Stanier 2-6-4T
No 42661 and an ex-WD 2-8-0.
[ABOVE] Two pictures of examples of rebuild s to Aspinall's Class 27, which resulted
in the addition of a Belpaire firebox and the extension of the footplate and front
Here we see [LEFT] No 12197 and [RIGHT] No 52541.
[ABOVE] Another rebuild, this time of all but 50 of the 280-strong Aspinall Class
25s, resulted in the creation of the extremely useful Class 23 0-6-0 saddle-tanks.
Until the very late 1950s, there were always a small number on Lostock Hall’s allocation
and they found much use, particularly in shunting the various ex-L&Y yards in the
Several others survived somewhat longer as Horwich Works shunters and yet a further
example was ultimately rescued from NCB service to survive today in preservation.
ABOVE] No 50725 is an example of the original round-topped boiler version of the
Aspinall Class 5. As mentioned on the previous page, from ever since the opening
of the depot, this type was a mainstay of the allocation until the early 1950s. Seeing
much use on the Preston - Southport line, they eventually were all replaced by newer
Stanier products. The home depot of this particular engine in this undated view
is unclear, but it does appear to be stood under the new shed roof, which was only
installed in 1954 and when 50725 was believed to be on the allocation of 28A Blackpool
[ABOVE] In L&Y days, Lostock Hall possessed a very small number of the L&Y Class
30 and 31 0-8-0s. With the 1922 grouping, large numbers of the Derby-designed Fowler
7F 0-8-0 eventually started to be cascaded into the former L&Y system and all of
the former had departed for scrap from their respective depots by the end of 1951.
n this 1948 picture, No 52822 was a visitor from 23D Wigan L&Y shed.
[ABOVE] Same wheel arrangement, but a very different locomotive. This 1949 view
sees No 49640 sporting a 24C shedplate. There were no fewer than 14 of the class
on the allocation in 1948.
[ABOVE] No 52857, seen here in an early 1949 view, was believed to have been one
of the very last of the type to remain in service, being withdrawn from 25B Low Moor
shed in December 1951.
Latterly, many of the class were still working from Aintree shed and this may well
have been the direction from which this visitor had arrived.
[ABOVE] Another 24C engine was No 49611. Being based on the Derby Class 4F, no consideration
had been put at the drawing-board stage into providing larger axle-boxes, with the
result that, on the steep gradients across the Pennines, they had a propensity for
Likewise at the same time, the arrivals of brand-new Stanier and Fairburn 2-6-4Ts
were to make further inroads into the depreciating stock of ex-L&Y 2-4-2 'Radial'
tanks. After so many years of ‘making-do’ with ageing designs, the 2-6-4Ts naturally
became immediate favourites with crews, so much so in fact that, remarkably, at least
one - No 42158 - was to remain on the allocation for its entire working life! Furthermore,
a couple of sister engines almost achieved similar status; a prime example being
No 42296, which arrived from Low Moor in 1950. In fact, on 6th Sept 1964, this engine
was afforded the honour of being specially-cleaned by the shed staff (by that date,
a rather uncommon occurrence) in order to work the final train of all between Southport
and Preston, via the West Lancs line – a task that it accomplished with all due pomp
and circumstance and, in doing so, commanded headline attention in the local press.
[ABOVE LEFT] In the immediate post-war years and still bearing its War Department
number is seen 26A Newton Heath depot’s No 70843 on the headshunt between the shed
building and the station. In the background can be seen the timber booking office
situated almost at the peak of Watkin Lane bridge.
[ABOVE RIGHT] Another view on the headshunt between the shed and the station sees
Lostock Halls No 90398 proceeding towards the ash-disposal pits. On the right can
be seen the two grounded carriage bodies, used for many years as the shed canteen
, ably managed by Mrs Ada Ashworth.
[LEFT] Yet other examples on the 24C stud were Nos 90595 and 90720, the former seen
bearing the early form of the BR crest and clearly not long out of shops.
Right from the outset from opening, the typical pattern of work for the shed had
essentially encompassed servicing all the ex-L&Y routes and yards in the Preston
area; this along with a few local passenger jobs - a situation that continued throughout,
very much unaltered, until at least the early 1960s. However, big changes were soon
to be afoot.
The ex-LNWR depot located immediately to the north of Preston Station had, traditionally,
provided power for working traffic over all the indigenous LNW routes around the
town - that is, until a disastrous fire occurred on 28th June 1960 and which destroyed
almost the entire shed roof, as well as seriously damaging a large number of locomotives
stabled underneath. Recalling that day, former driver Andy Hall observed that, when
they heard the news up at Lostock Hall, a number of the footplatemen on duty at the
time went up to the top of the coaling plant to watch the blaze - the pall of black
smoke that was engulfing the town being clearly visible even at such a distance!
After clearance of debris, although the now roofless 24K establishment struggled
on for another 15 months, it finally succumbed on 12th September 1961 and, at which
time, part of the remaining allocation, along with many of the duties, were then
passed over to Lostock Hall. They not being popular with many ‘Lanky’ men, effectively,
that move meant the end of the last three ex-LNWR 0-8-0 locos at work in the Preston
area (the “Super Ds”) and those that did not get immediately withdrawn were very
soon moved to Carnforth and elsewhere.
[RIGHT] At one time there was a daily freight working to Preston that regularly brought
21D Aston engines onto Lostock Hall shed. Here, in 1962, ex-works 'Britannia' pacific
No 70017 "Arrow" (one of 9 allocated to Aston at the time) has just taken on coal
and is seen moving towards the ash-disposal plant.
[FAR RIGHT] Class 4F 0-6-0 No 44596 was an 8G Sutton Oak engine when photographed
on around the same date. It is suspected that this visit, too, might have been as
a direct consequence of a works visit - but running-in from Horwich. Notice the rare
high-sided tender - a type that had seen service behind at least a couple of un-rebuilt
[RIGHT] Having possibly brought in one of the seasonal extras from Southern Scotland,
in July 1963 Standard 6MT Pacific No 72005 "Clan Macgregor" has its fire thrown out
prior to being stabled. More usually, the Scottish or Carlisle locomotives on such
workings went straight to 24E Blackpool Central MPD … and where they were borrowed
for mid-week local passenger diagrams, until such time as they returned home the
[FAR RIGHT] Ex-LNER engines, however, were fairly frequent visitors, particularly
B1 4-6-0s and even a Gorton O4 on one occasion, but quite how this Low Moor J39 got
here has remained a mystery! Perhaps Wakefield had borrowed it for a coal working
instead of a WD 2-8-0?
Certainly not popular with “Lanky” men, the “Wessy” ‘Super D’ 0-8-0s, nevertheless,
made occasional appearances on the shed.
[ABOVE LEFT] No 49008 of Springs Branch makes a brief visit in early 1962, having
worked a mineral turn from Bamfurlong to Ribble Sidings.
[ABOVE RIGHT] The final occasion upon which a ‘Super D’ travelled into the Preston
area was on 20th September 1962, when No 49451 was sent from Springs Branch in order
to work a railtour that was scheduled to commence its journey, a couple of days later,
from Preston (West Lancs Goods) station. Supposedly already ‘cleaned’ by shed staff,
the task ultimately had to be completed properly by a number of the railtour participants.
(NB For the author, this was the very first of many engines that he was to clean
here during years to follow!)
In September 1963, with yet further divisional changes, the ‘parent depot’ status
became transferred to 10A Carnforth, with Lostock Hall’s shed-code now becoming 10D.
"…and it had to happen right outside Harold Sedgebeer's office door!” Not the first
occasion by any means when the 'bag' was left in the tender as an engine moved off
LEFT] Bank Hall's 'Jubilee' 45627 "Sierra Leone" poses alongside the prostrate water
column that more usually served Nos 1 & 2 Roads.
[RIGHT] Lostock Hall's crane re-erects the column. There was a story going round
that, after this had occurred a few times, specially reduced-neck threaded-studs
were manufactured to use in the mountings of the columns and which would shear-off
before damage was caused to the base castings.
Former Lostock Hall fireman, Joseph Booth recalls his own first day as a cleaner
(7th May 1962), when he was one of 8 assigned to clean un-rebuilt ‘Patriot’ 45543
“Home Guard” (with another 8 on un-named No 45550). These 2 engines had been temporarily
transferred here, following the Preston shed fire, but spending most of their stay
in store. He adds that there were no fewer than 42 cleaners at this time and the
rest were given either 9Fs or tanks to clean. The following day, both of the ‘Patriots’
were steamed ready for diagrams, being based at Lostock for 3 months, before being
moved again to Carnforth - where they once more only lasted for a short while.
[RIGHT] Restored to traffic after a period in storage, un-rebuilt 'Patriot' 45543
"Home Guard" has just been cleaned in early May 1962 and is the subject of an admiring
audience. Stood in front are driver Dick Parr and fireman Frank Finney.
[FAR RIGHT] Another recently cleaned 'Patriot' No 45550 is shunted onto No 9 Road
by an 8F 2-8-0.
Although unfortunately that’s all we have in this section for now, so before you
continue on to the next page, please do consider the following.
What you have just been reading is, of course, only a small part of the story of
Lostock Hall MPD …. all of it having been gratefully received from the mere handful
of contributors who have so generously assisted us to-date.
There are obviously many more stories out there just waiting to be told … only these
haven’t as yet been passed on to us! Therefore, in order to start filling-in many
of the missing pieces in the, still very incomplete, jigsaw, please do now consider
making a contribution of your own.
Items of information and scanned photographs would be most welcomed. Alternatively,
you might wish to share your footplate experiences by participating in our “Discussion
Forum” (as many already have done). However, regardless of how you make contact and
irrespective of whatever manner you feel you may be able to assist, please DO get
NOTE: All information contained within these pages is original material - prepared
specifically for the Lostock Hall MPD Website (www.LostockHallMPD.org.uk) and which
remains strictly the express COPYRIGHT of the website administrators. Likewise, all
photographs used remain the COPYRIGHT of the photographers identified. No item must
be reproduced, or quoted from (in whole or even in part), in the absence of express
prior permission being granted. (Please refer to the “Get In Touch” page in order
to obtain the contact addresses of the administrative team.)
Some slightly cleaner visitors! [LEFT] A holiday extra train to the Lancashire Coast
from South Wales or Bristol had, on this occasion, changed engines at Shrewsbury,
resulting in ‘Jubilee’ 6P5F 4-6-0 No 45572 “Eire” (89A) then working its empty stock
back to the Preston area for stabling until its return departure time was due.
[RIGHT] One that probably hadn’t worked a holiday special. The absence of a shed-plate
suggesting that ‘Jubilee’ No 45590 “Travancore” was running-in following a visit
to Crewe Works, this picture may well have been taken at the time the that loco was
in the process of being transferred to Newton Heath in June 1963.
The heavy brigade!
[LEFT] Well off its beaten track, BR Standard 9F 2-10-0 No 92048 is an extremely
rare visitor from 17C Rowsley shed in 1962. Quite how it arrived at Lostock Hall
from the Peak District is something upon which one can only conjecture!
[RIGHT] Classmate No 92015 was one of a small number of the same type on 26A Newton
Heath's allocation for some years. Here, in 1962, the largest engine present on the
shed, it is seen buffered-up to quite the smallest - 0-4-0ST No 47002!
A pair of more 'run-of-the-mill' visitors in 1962. [FAR LEFT] Fowler 4P 2-6-4T No
42319 prepares to return to its home depot of 24L Carnforth, perhaps at the head
of a Windermere or Barrow local passenger. Although fairly frequent visitors, none
of this class ever found itself allocated to Lostock Hall.
[LEFT] Another type to visit on a regular basis, but with examples allocated to many
other ex-L&Y other depots in the area, curiously, no Hughes/Fowler 'Crab' 2-6-0s
are ever believed to have been on the allocation here. This one, No 42849, from 9B
Stockport Edgeley, does appear to be stabled in readiness at the head of the depot
Life never always ran absolutely smoothly and, over the years, many were the mishaps
that occurred - the suspect permanent way often being the major culprit! One that
would eventually be one of the 24C allocation, on this day in 1962 when it came off
the road, Stanier 2-6-4T No 42439 was a 26F Patricroft engine. Nevertheless, with
the assistance of an available Fairburn 2-6-4T coupled to the steam crane, the breakdown
crew soon had the errant tank back in place.
[FAR LEFT] A view of the footplate layout of WD 2-8-0 No 90595, inside the shed separated
from its tender and in the process of being jacked-up by the fitting staff. To the
left can be seen ex-Midland Railway 3F 0-6-0T No 47211 still fitted with its condensing
pipes following its years of working onto the Underground lines from Cricklewood
depot in London.
[RIGHT] Yet another embarrassment! Brand-new Horwich 350hp 0-6-0 shunter No D4140
had just arrived for running-in trials at Lostock Hall in 1962 when the maintenance
staff were called-out to rectify a problem that had caused the loco to fail right
in the neck to Preston Butler Street yard.
[LEFT] On 2nd August 1962 Warrington Dallam shed’s withdrawn un-rebuilt Patriot 4-6-0
No 45546 ‘Fleetwood’ has its tender emptied by shed staff, prior to being dispatched
to Crewe Works for scrapping.
[RIGHT] Sheffield Darnall shed’s B1 4-6-0 No 61044 is another unusual visitor on
16th September 1962. Presumably it had worked a Saturday relief to the Fylde Coast
before stabling its stock at Lostock Hall.
[LEFT ] 19th August 1962 saw the visit of an unusual and distinguished visitor in
the form of Edge Hill depot’s ‘Princess Royal’ Pacific No 46208 ‘Princess Helena
Victoria’. At this period in time the appearance of Stanier Pacifics were most uncommon
and ‘Princess Royals’ particularly so .
Of the older ex-L&Y engines, indeed at least three of those ever-reliable workhorses
also spent the majority of their lives at Lostock Hall.
Two were the Aspinall Class 23 saddle-tank rebuilds of earlier Barton-Wright 0-6-0
tender engines, where both Nos 51345 and 51423 were known to have been on the allocation
since as early as 1922 (if not even earlier) and only came to be finally withdrawn
at 24C in, respectively, October 1956 and December 1958 !
Yet even a further example of longevity could be seen in the Aspinall Class 27 0-6-0
No 1603 (52467) which, entering service in 1918, appears also to have spent the whole
of its existence based at Lostock Hall, before being condemned in May 1948.